Monday 14 September 2009

Magie et Mythe vernissage


It was a lively event, as Ian's photo shows...
people were nice: people I'd never met came to me with
generous things to say. Others were mercifully silent.

It is always horrendous for an artist to exhibit, its like
dropping your knickers while (inexplicably) dancing on
a strangers dinner table.

I managed to enjoy the evening by thinking of myself as
the curator, not the artist, having selected work from many
periods of my working life; Glasgow, Manila, Bexleyheath
(weird residency at Hall Place), Lincolnshire (result of the
Artescape Fellowship) with some current work sneaked in.

Dinner was at Will and Marvis at the Place Deux Rennes with
a large crowd that included Henry Lincoln of HBHG fame.

A remembered snatch of conversation, Trebour to Ferren:
What came first, matter or consciousness?
Ferren: I don't think consciousness has arrived yet.

Many thanks are due. To the amazing Marcus and Corella for
inviting me, giving me an apartment to stay and work in for
the duration, for organising the invitations, for the vernissage
booze, for all their unstinting time and trouble; to Peter G., hero,
for packing and shifting the work; to Corella, who has the
mysterious ability to take a load of old art and make a coherent
show; to guests and visitors known and unknown.

I must also mention Mike Hincs. The slot at l' Espace d'Art was
his but his mothers terrible illness and subsequent heart attacks
prevented him from taking up the opportunity - I was a last minute
stand-in. You can imagine what a pleasure it was to see Barbara
on Sunday - Mike drove her up for a visit - looking terrific!

Mike looks wrecked, mind you.

No comments: