Thursday 2 April 2009

Indian gift


Claer has sent this beautiful fetish from India, via the Captain -
Anyone know anything about parrot-headed gods? A quick Google
reveals one called Sukabimham about which I can find out nothing;
though it could be eagle-headed in which case this is Garuda, steed
of Vishnu and easier to pronounce.

Though I have laboured in a parrot quarantine warehouse in my time
and this says parrot to me -

Whatever; its a classically beautiful piece of folk art that sits happily
in the hand and Claer, you are an angel to pick me a present that is
so perfect for me - if I had found such a fascinating god on my
travels I wouldn't have parted with it. Bisouxxxxxxxxxx!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

re your parrot headed god statue
+ propably garouda as you say on the blog; in indonesia garouda = a winged
dragon/serpant, not an eagle as written on most French sites when they refer
to the indian garouda - anyhow, no eagles that I know of in india as such -
high up in the himalayas yes, but on mainland India; no birds of prey to
speak of, but a lot of parrots! Mayby there were birds of prey in the past
though and they became part of religious legend...
Sorry that I can not be of more help - my own garouda statue from Java has a
hooked head, eg it is like a long snouted dog head with a beak like
protousion on the upper mandible where the nostrils would be on a
dog/bear/wolf etc

This link gives the grouda, at the bottom of the statue, a heafty parrot
beak. Eagles have flatter les curved beaks on the top - their beaks are an
almost flat extension of the also flatish crane - Indian parrots are
charachtrised by the dome like skull and dome like uppper beak, their
structure is completely different to amazons/macaws who have flatter
skulls/beaks quite similar to those of eagles....

http://www.underthebo.fr/decoration-interieure-maison-asie/images/A135.jpg