Monday 20 September 2010

news from Edinburgh

Iain has written; I'm editing because its long and I understand about sound
bites and attention spans.
Also because I'm sitting on a phone waiting for a human to pick up so
I have time to edit. But I am moving forward in the queue and will be
answered as soon as possible...

- the Festival over, so here in Edinburgh it's the countdown to bloody
Christmas. The city generally dies after the Festival is finished.
Still we've had great excitement in that we were, "blessed" by a visit
from the holy father. I watched his procession along Princes Street
from the window of a coffee shop. The city was packed for this event.
I had a good view of the pope-mobile and I managed to catch a glimpse
of the back of his head. I can't claim to have found it spiritually uplifting
but many of the other customers seemed very excited.

Lots of hawkers about with pope flags, pope scarves and jolly pope
balloons. It all seemed entirely appropriate. I thought he looked
somewhat lonely in his noddy car but I did not realise that he had a
couple of bishops at his feet hidden from sight. Not sure what they
were doing but once again it all seemed entirely appropriate.

I expect that John Knox was turning in his grave and I have to say that I
rather missed our own Pastor Jack Glass who during the last visit
proudly held banners demanding no popery here.
He died some years ago and we don't seem to have the same standard
of high profile bigots these days.

Beginning to get a bit cold here but lots of sunny days. I walk up Arthurs
Seat most days and it is just brilliant. I expect you'd think it was freezing
but I do love it. My business is sort of up and running now. The adverts
are not live yet but I am getting a trickle of leads and have submitted a
few estimates to insurance companies. It looks as though it is going to
work just fine.


I presume you are all lying about in the warmth and the sunshine and still
enjoying balmy summer evenings. I hope so. Have much fun, lots of love.
Iain Mac

BTW you may have noticed in Links a site listed as Growing Food
Without a Plough. This is in fact from the Edible Gardner column in a big
Brit paper and Alex the author has a home here or at any rate up the hill in
Antugnac.I'm so impressed by all my neighbours - what class folk -

No comments: