Monday 10 March 2008

election thrills...

... voting took forever because you have to kiss everyone or at least shake hands. I messed up twice; first time they gave me a list and I took it into the little booth and it had crosses already on it. Can't be right, I thought. Went back to the desk (more kissing, more handshaking) and found I'd taken the list of foreigners with me - well, they gave it to me, of course I did. Then I took the lists with me.

I hadn't understood quite how literal it was. When the French talk of Le Liste it is in fact a list. A bit of white paper with 19 names on it. I took the two lists into the little booth and had a think. I'd messed up again for sure; nowhere to put a mark. Tottered out of the booth and two friends were there and they said; take the list you want and put it in the blue envelope. Ignore the other. Its easy.

Once they said that I remembered everything else I'd been told; to whit, if there is someone on the list you don't want, you can cross their name off and replace it with another, from the other list or indeed anyone you like. I could have written my own name or Hall's, anything as long as there are only 19. Less is fine. More and its invalid.

I chose a list, put it in the blue envelope and handed it in, signing another list to say I'd voted and had my voting card stamped. I got to keep the card, I suppose its there for the next time.

A French friend took me for a coffee and told me how she had voted, which simply embarrassed me, then demanded to know what I had done. I had done exactly the opposite of her and said so, smiling and shrugging: she told me at length why I was wrong. Fortunately I could defend my decision to my satisfaction at least - but this was when it dawned on me that the French have none of our scruples about private matters. The rest of the day - market day, busy - I was evasive and explained the English stance.

Another curiosity that emerged was that only the government can hand out black writing on white paper, this a remnant of Napoleon. Eddy had been handing out flyers for Mark Locketts gig on Friday 14th ( Echos des Cloches at the Musée du Piano, Limoux, FREE, 18.30 h., music by Ravel, Glass, Arvo Part, etc and more importantly premiering a new piece by Stan Alder, be there!) - Eddy had forgotten this law and handed out said B & W flyers on election day. Waiting to see if they drag him off in chains.

-It is also illegal here to name your pig Napoleon.

Anyway, voting carried on all day to much chatter and hubbub. Its a social event and the more elderly were dressed up for it. The noise carried on after midnight as the counters counted and their cars blocked the little road. People outside on mobile phones reminded me of the farragoes of previous London elections... this is much more empowering.
The radio says that the results are uneven and so was the turnout. I'm off to the bakers to find out who won.

-Hall has abandoned Tilling and gone skiing in the Alps.

* Back from Bakers - pain au chocolate and croissant almond - and Torrances' team are the winners. Not my choice. Tilling seems largely apathetic this morning, perhaps they are tired after yesterdays excitement...

No comments: