Friday 28 October 2011

last night of the season

Marcus and Corella closed their gallery for the season tonight and despite the rain the turnout was large and the ambiance as amusing as ever. The event was an expo of the photos of Jean-Louis Socquet-Jugland and the book launch of his photos, text by Jean-Pierre Monteils - its lovely, we bagged a copy.

****Weird though. The great-grandson of one of the greatest of this epoch was there and as word spread we all got daft (me especially) with much fervid whispering about what we should do - this could not go unmarked, none of us wanted to leave without some token interaction. A photo? Well yes, and I have one - surreptitiously taken - and I ain't putting it up here. Talk of offering to have his babies (not me), of posing in a shared photo, of just asking whats it like then... courage fails in the shadow of greatness. Or at any rate, the shadow of the DNA of greatness.

Harsh to point /blame/credit someone because they have a grandfather who is immortal.
Nonetheless, when Marcus introduced me and HE SHOOK MY HAND my knees crumpled and my head swam. I asked Bob (here for the weekend) if he was affected by the presence and he said yea, as soon as he saw the likeness. So; it aint Freud; it aint Marx; its of that calibre and my lips are sealed.

No comments: