Wednesday 22 October 2008

Big Ben in London

Ben Vautier, a favorite artist, is in London.
I'm on his mailing list and get his newsletter;
he is exhibiting in the Serpentine Gallery with
Yoko Ono, Gilbert and George and others including
Gustave Metzger, whom I knew 20 years ago and
he was ancient then - I told Kitaj I'd met him and he
snorted, Is that old madman still alive??

Clearly Ben is unaware of the Serpentine's reputation -
it was known in the studios as 'The Kiss of Death' because
once you showed there you were never heard of again.

Here are some extracts that Ben has written in English...

LONDON (EN ANGLAIS)
Serpentine Gallery
Lots of staff
The weather cold
I did well to take a coat
Not free enough
Why refer the speaker corner
And make people to pay 20 pounds to come in
I did not stay to listen to all
To much talking
Of course everything was filmed
And we had to sign paper-authorizing reproduction

LONDON
Serpentine Gallery Richter show 1/20
I never liked Richter
Neither his clouds
and less his Boetti period
I never understood his success

LONDON
Onces I am in London
I just as well study
Anglo Saxon imperialism
On TV in my hotel room I heurd
twice mention USA "leader of the free world"
Anglo Saxon imperialism is cosmopolite
The world belongs to us

LONDON
English people are very nice
Their shoes are polished
They are polite and say
"how do you do ?"
"I am pleased to meet you"
They look like Miss Marple and Inspector Barnaby.
But in reality they are all Darwinist
that is to say survivers

LONDON EASYJET
Never again
To much queing up
I hate queues
I wonder why I am in London
to show off
To event payed 150 pounds that Jean Jacques Lebel payed
I am tired I want to go back to sleep

No comments: