Tuesday 29 November 2011

encourage the poor artist

Every year, like a lot of other artists, I donate a post
card or two to this event -

http://dams.rca.ac.uk/res/sites/RCA_Secret/
It raises money for student bursaries and is a Good
Thing.

Latterly it has had a lot of press and TV because its such
fun - you can buy a
postcard for the flat rate of 45 quid
and because it is only signed on the back
you don't know
who you're getting. You might get Tracey, Damien, Yoko
- or Vanilla.


Sometimes there are queues to get in first to get the work
you've selected...yesterday
I got this [edited] e-mail;


"Dear Ms Beer,

I camped out overnight to get one of your pictures at
the RCA Secret
exhibition today - I saw you had more
than one in the exhibition but I
fell in love with the
splendid nude lady on the hobby horse. I am now
back
at home crowing over my purchase. Does it have a title?


I've had a look at your website and am enjoying the other
things that
you paint, but I wanted to tell you how pleased
I am with my purchase.

... I've been to the RCA Secret exhibition once before, and
it's great
fun to pick out the obvious Emins and Perrys and
then instead buy something
you really like... I look forward
to keeping an eye on what you're doing...
"

I can't imagine camping out for anything so I am truly
delighted. So, please, let this be a lesson - encourage
an artist today and make a poorly-paid drudge a happy bunny!!

No comments: