Saturday 28 February 2009

Vanilla Beer Get-out-of-Jail-Free card


We had been told that the police here have to meet quotas and so on the last day of the month can be expected to be out and hunting wrongdoers.
Accordingly, after driving to Arques for Katherine's quiz night, Steve didn't drink any alcohol. When we left - admittedly in the early hours of March - I had drunk his share and he was as sober as a judgmental person.

When we got pulled outside Tilling it was jolly exciting - the pleasure in righteousness, knowing that you are safe when in the hands of authority -we had forgotten that it is illegal to drive here without a driving license to hand.

All was well, however. When I heard Steve explain in Swiss/German that it was at home, I skipped out of the car and told them in French that his permit was up the hill and he was a gentleman and driving me home. They waved us on - simple. Steve called me the Vanilla Beer Get Out of Jail Free card. Sweet.

Here is Catherine reading the quiz results. I was third. Some mistake?

I am terribly aware that Andrée Bonnets 80th birthday party has yet
to be blogged, ditto Kats 50ermum.
When I have a spare and sober night, this will be accomplished.

No comments: