Friday 20 February 2009

rambling update

The Captain has been here all week so hand-holding
rather than partying has been going on; he goes on Sunday
when normal duties will resume.

The new house should be exciting but the previous owners
are still there in and we haven't got the keys - all we've got
so far is a large debt.

The only gossip I have to report is about one of my paintings.
I had email from a stranger with a photo of it, saying could
I tell him anything about it. He had been left it by his father.

It was clearly one of mine probably from the early 1990's.
Thing was that I could find no photo of it - normally I'm
quite good at records. And bizarrely there was no date or title
on the back - again, something that is fetishistic with me.

After much too-ing and fro-ing of correspondence, we established
that the painting was cut from its stretchers and mounted on wood.
The information I had doubtless written on the back was concealed.

This told me that it was one of a series that I had taken to exhibit
in Manila. They were rolled and carried in my suitcase and mounted
when I got there as part of a workshop; then shown at the Madrigal
centre. How had that got to this chaps father??

Further investigation revealed that said chap was the son of the
Landlord at the Windmill Inn on Clapham Common. This rang bells -
I remember meeting clients there for lunch. (What I remember
especially was that I was a vegan and one of the party ate frogs legs.
I kept the bones and worked them into some small altarpieces that I
still have, inexplicably)

The painting, it eventually transpires, came back unsold from Manila
and was bought from me at an open studio event in 1995 by Dr
Gordon Sturrock acting on behalf of a group, who subsequently made
the presentation to the landlord.

Not sure where it is now. Will ask. Alarming that ones pictures may
be having a more interesting time than me.

No comments: