Sunday 21 February 2010

an exciting lunch

A very simple lunch for Annie, Pete and Mick turned into a
highly charged afternoon as the funny smell that has been
haunting this house developed smoke that emerged from
the electric box thingie.

Peter - manly Peter - calmed my girlish fears and turned off
the electricity.
Annie called the emergency services.
I did my bit by standing in the road hand-wringing until Mighty
Msr Pozo and his family arrived in full kit.

I should explain that the Pompiers of Tilling are run by Msr Pozo
and he has various family members on the team. Today his son
was assisting. Madame Pozo, matriarch of the tribe, lives a few
doors down from me and in the hiatus between looking at the box
and waiting for the EDF, her grandson lit a fag and trotted off to
say hello. He is very tall; she just about reaches his waist.

EDF came, looking very much as if lunch had been disturbed.
I offered sandwiches and wine but no takers - Msr EDF took an
hour to replace the box and went off smiling, possibly with relief.
Terrifying job. He wore a clear plastic helmet to do it.

All is now well.

Yet again, Annie and Pete have pulled me out of some hideous
spot. Thanks and thanks again...

No comments: